Liliane Maury Pasquier
"We must continue to work tirelessly to promote human rights, democracy and the rule of law, both on the European continent and beyond in the face of rising extremism, violence and repression, and in a context in which migration and security are very strained issues.
The President of the Assembly therefore has an important role to play in advocating values such as justice, integrity and cohesion, while speaking out against exclusion, hate and an atmosphere of one against all.
The difficult institutional and financial context in which our Assembly finds itself also requires us to strengthen our values of transparency, responsibility and commitment to the democracy that we defend.
In order to resist the adverse winds both externally and internally, the Assembly needs a President with strong convictions and experience.
These convictions and experience I gladly place at the service of our Assembly. In accordance with our values of equality, the protection of minorities and in the belief that I represent all our parliamentarians, I am very honoured to have been elected to this position."
Liliane Maury Pasquier
President of the Parliamentary Assembly
Liliane Maury Pasquier, President of the Parliamentary Assembly
Born Geneva 1956
- Since 2007: Councillor to the Council of States (Swiss Parliament) – Socialist Party
- Member of the Swiss Delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (2011-2013: Chair of the Delegation)
- Former President of the Socialists, Democrats and Greens' Group (January-June 2018)
- Former Chair of the Rules Committee (2016-2018)
- Former Chair of the Committee on Social Affairs, Health and Sustainable Development
- Former Chair of the Committee for Social Security and Public Health in the Council of States (2013-2015)
- Member of the Committee for Foreign Affairs of the Council of States
- Chair of the Delegation for the Relations with the French Parliament
- 1995-2007: Councillor to the National Council (Swiss Parliament) – Socialist Party
- Chair of the Council and of the Federal Assembly in 2002
- Member of the Committees for Social Security and Public Health, for Foreign Affairs, for Science, Education and Culture and for the Political Institutions
- 1993-1996: Member of the Grand Council (Cantonal Parliament) – Socialist Party
- Member of the Committees for Planning, for Health and Environment
- 1983-1991: Municipal Councillor (Local Parliament) – Socialist Party
In Veyrier (Geneva)
- Chair of the Municipal Council in 1989 and 1990
- Member of the Committees for Town Planning, for Youth and for Budget
- Since 1989: independent midwife
- 2009-2013: Chair of the Swiss Federation of Midwives, Berne