Europe and migration to take centre-stage at the Summer Session
Strasbourg, 26-30 June 2017
Europe and migration will be one of the central themes of the Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly (PACE) Summer plenary session, to be held in Strasbourg from 26 to 30 June 2017.
Four reports will be debated on Wednesday 28 June, focusing on the humanitarian and political response to the migration crisis, the human rights implications of the European response to transit migration, migration as an opportunity for European development and the integration of refugees in times of critical pressure.
Speakers in the debates will include Council of Europe Secretary General Thorbjørn Jagland, Mayor of Athens Giorgos Kaminis, Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights Nils Muiznieks, and the Swedish Minister for Justice and Migration Morgan Johansson.
Other highlights of the session include debates on recognising and enforcing the principle of accountability in the Parliamentary Assembly, promoting integrity in governance to tackle political corruption and parliamentary scrutiny over corruption. It is also planned to hold debates on the situation in Belarus and political influence over independent media and journalists.
Pavel Filip, Prime Minister of the Republic of Moldova, and Duško Markovic, Prime Minister of Montenegro, will deliver speeches, and Lubomír Zaorálek, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic, will address the Assembly's parliamentarians in his capacity of Chairman of the Committee of Ministers.
There has been a request for a current affairs debate on Europe's common fight against terrorism: Successes and failures.
The Assembly will decide its final agenda on the opening day of the session.
Monday 26 June 2017
- Doc. 14350 (Report on credentials) Examination of credentials of representatives and substitutes
- Doc. 14345 (Progress report) Activities of the Assembly’s Bureau and Standing Committee (28 April-25 June 2017)
- Doc. 14349 (Communication) Activities of the President of the Parliamentary Assembly between the second and the third part of the 2017 Ordinary session
Tuesday 27 June 2017
- Doc. 14338 (Report) Recognition and implementation of the principle of accountability in the Parliamentary Assembly
- Doc. 14344 (Report) Promoting integrity in governance to tackle political corruption
- Doc. 14274 (Report) Parliamentary scrutiny over corruption: parliamentary cooperation with the investigative media
- Doc. 14333 (Report) The situation in Belarus
Wednesday 28 June 2017
- Doc. 14342 (Report) A comprehensive humanitarian and political response to the migration and refugee crisis in Europe
- Doc. 14341 (Report) Human rights implications of the European response to transit migration across the Mediterranean
- Doc. 14335 (Report) Migration as an opportunity for European development
- Doc. 14348 (Committee Opinion) Migration as an opportunity for European development
- Doc. 14329 (Report) Integration of refugees in times of critical pressure: learning from recent experience and examples of best practice
- Doc. 14347 (Committee Opinion) Integration of refugees in times of critical pressure: learning from recent experience and examples of best practice
Thursday 29 June 2017
- Doc. 14337 (Report) Putting an end to sexual violence and harassment of women in public space
- Doc. 14340 (Report) The implementation of judgments of the European Court of Human Rights
- Doc. 14339 (Report) Political influence over independent media and journalists