11-12 September 2014, Oslo
European Conference of Presidents of Parliament
Oslo, Norway, 11-12 September 2014
59 Presidents of Parliament met in Oslo on the occasion of the conference organised by the Storting and the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe. They discussed three major topical issues which go to the heart of the challenges facing European democracies today. Presentations on the themes of the conference were made by the Presidents of the Italian Chamber of Deputies, Laura Boldrini, the Danish Folketing, Mogens Lykketoft, the Parliament of Georgia, David Usupashvili, and the Dutch Senate, Ankie Broekers-Knol, as well as by the First Vice-President of the Venice Commission, Jan Helgesen.
- Fundamental constitutional rights and freedoms - Participation, trust and public debate as conditions for democracy
Reference Documents for Theme 1
- Parliamentary Assembly Resolution 1547 (2007) on the state of human rights and democracy in Europe.
- CDL-STD(1994)010, Introductory statement by President Antonio La Pergola and CDL-STD(1995)015, Rights suitable for protection by constitutional appeal procedures, Professor J.L. Cascajo Castro.
- Parliamentary Assembly Resolution 1836 (2011) on The impact of the Lisbon Treaty on the Council of Europe and Resolution 1610 (2008) on The accession of the European Union/European Community to the European Convention on Human Rights, with further references.
- Doc. 12279, as well as Resolution 1746 (2010) and Recommendation 1928 (2010) on Democracy in Europe: crisis and perspectives.
- Website of the 2014 World Forum for Democracy.
Reference Documents for Theme 3
- Doc. 11465 rev, as well as Resolution 1601 (2008) on procedural guidelines on the rights and responsibilities of the opposition in a democratic parliament.
- Doc. 12278 on Extra-institutional actors in the democratic system.
- Report of the Venice Commission on the Role of Extra-Institutional Actors in the Democratic System (Study 590/2010, document CDL-AD(2013)011, March 2013).
- Code of Good Practice for Civil Participation in the Decision-Making Process drafted by the Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe in 2009.
- Doc. 12279, as well as Resolution 1746 (2010) on "Democracy in Europe: crisis and perspectives"
- Website of the 2013 World Forum for Democracy.
- Doc. 13386 on Internet and politics: the impact of new information and communication technology on democracy.