PACE autumn session debates call for a Council of Europe summit, awards Václav Havel Prize
Strasbourg, 9-13 October 2017
At PACE's autumn session, the Assembly is due to hear an address by the President of the Czech Republic Miloš Zeman, and will debate a call for a Council of Europe Summit to defend and promote democratic security in Europe, alongside a separate report on defending the Organisation's acquis and preserving 65 years of successful intergovernmental co-operation.
On Wednesday, the parliamentarians will debate two reports on the situation in Azerbaijan – one on the functioning of democratic institutions in the country, and another on respect for human rights as a follow-up to its Chairmanship of the Organisation. A day earlier, the Assembly will debate new proposals for promoting and strengthening the transparency, accountability and integrity of its members.
The winner of the 2017 Václav Havel Human Rights Prize will be announced on Monday, from a shortlist of three nominees, and the prize awarded in a special ceremony in the plenary.
On the opening day of the session, the Assembly is also due to hold a vote on a motion to dismiss its current President, Pedro Agramunt.
Thursday sees a trio of debates on promoting the human rights of intersex people, on the use of new genetic technologies in human beings, and on prosecuting and punishing crimes against humanity – or even possible genocide – committed by Daesh.
On Monday Czech Foreign Minister Lubomir Zaorálek, who chairs the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers, will present the communication on its recent activities and take questions. The following day the Assembly debates the activities of the OECD in 2016-2017, with input from its Secretary-General Angel Gurría, and Council of Europe Secretary General Thorbjørn Jagland holds his usual Q&A session with members.
There has also been a request for an urgent debate on "The extremely worrying humanitarian situation of the Rohingya".
Monday 9 October 2017
- Doc. 14392 (Election observation report) Observation of the parliamentary elections in Albania (25 June 2017)
Tuesday 10 October 2017
- Doc. 14399 (Report) Evaluation of the partnership for democracy in respect of the Parliament of Jordan
Wednesday 11 October 2017
- Doc. 14397 (Report) Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: what follow-up on respect for human rights?
- Doc. 14396 (Report) Call for a Council of Europe Summit to reaffirm European unity and to defend and promote democratic security in Europe
- Doc. 14387 (Report) Venice Commission’s “Rule of Law Checklist”